Essential oils are no secret when it comes to nourishing your hair and I’ve collaborated with Annya of NaturalAnnie Essentials to share some hair care tips.
Back in 2014, Annya was in the micro braid wearing phase and one day one actually yanked a patch from her edges, leaving her with a bald spot! NOT CUTE!
She knew about oils, but didn’t use them properly or as much as she should. This was how Happy Edges was created- simply out of the need to regrow her edges and do it conveniently-hence the roll on bottle. While the oils worked wonders in re-growing her edges, she realized that it also soothed her itchy and sometimes dry scalp. I can attest that the roller ball feels so therapeutic on the scalp with the tingle and nourishment of the essential oils.
As you guys know, I love switching my hair up by wearing wigs and other protective styles to grow and protect my natural hair. You too can regrow your edges, and strengthen your roots with Happy Edges, while wearing your favor protective styles.
Today, I’m sharing a few tips that help me keep my hair nourished and healthy:
- Keep hair moisturized – It’s easy to neglect your hair while wearing protective styles and letting your hair get dried out. I typicall use a spray bottle filled with water and lightly mist my entire head and ends of my braids in the evening. You don’t want your hair to get too wet, just a light layer of moisture and then I tie my scarf at night.
- Protect Edges – Your edges are most vulnerable to breakage, while wearing protective styles. You want to make sure that you are keeping the hair folicles nourished. I like to apply Happy Edges to my hair line or any trouble spot once daily, preferable in the evening so it can penetrate my scalp.
- Keep Scalp Cleansed – Cleanse you scalp between washes using a wash cloth and witch hazel or warm water. Put your liquid of choice on the wash cloth and light wipe the are areas of head where your scalp is showing. This is especially helpful for people with active lifesyles and in the warmer months when you tend to sweat more.
- Massage Scalp – You want to keep the blood flowing on your scalp by giving yourself scalp massages. I used to think it was just hype until I dedicated 2 weeks to giving myself 5 – 10 minute scalp massages. Using your finger tips, you wasn’t to lightly rub your scalp in circular motions. It also helps with the removal of dead skin cells from the scalp and stimulates blood flow and circulation, creating an ideal environment for hair growth. Most importantly, it feel AMAZING!
- Let scalp & hair breathe – If possible, don’t sleep with your wig at night, but if you must, remember to let you scalp get some fresh air from time to time. It also is a good practice to air out your scalp and your wig to let and strong scents air out. I hang my wigs to air out using a pant hanger with adjustable sliding clamps to ensure I don’t stretch out the wig or closure.
Happy Edges is an all natural essential oil blend created with certified pure therapeutic grade essential oils and castor oil. Daily use of Happy Edges aids in the strengthening of your precious edges. Made with castor oil, rosemary leaves, pure therapeutic grade essential oils; this oil blend also helps to reduce breakage and dry itchy scalp.
What tips have you found works to keep your hair healthy and nourished while wearing protective styles?